Saturday 7 January 2012

Chapter 9



 
I woke in a world of pain, tubes, wires and haziness….I was back in my world. But now, the pain was lesser and it was brighter and clearer than the last time.

Bro was sleeping in a chair next to me – that boy would and could catnap while he was standing – an ability I would be so jealous about usually!!

But, the image was still blurry so I tried to reach for my glasses. I moved my arm and ended up nearly screaming as pain shot through every synapse and imprinted a hot, red footprint on my mind.

Suddenly there was activity all around me as doctors and nurses (they all wore neon blue and green scrubs so I assumed them to be such) rushed in and asked a dozen questions and shone flashlights at me.

“Can you hear us?”

“Please make a sign, if you can hear us.”

“Can you speak – please try to make a noise”

“Are you in pain – do you want something?”

I blearily looked at all of them and croaked, “Water” – it was like I had gravel sprayed all over my throat and cemented with bilious amounts of broken glass.

Finally, I was allowed water, warm and a few drops at a time – I swallowed like the invalid I was and tried to drink and speak at the same time. Not a good idea.

After I managed to get my breath back and finished snorting water out of my nose, I tried again.

“Glasses – need my spectacles” – it was still a croak, but a recognizable croak.
A big face floated into view and spoke in a baby-ish tone, “I don’t think that’s a good idea – lets try and get some food into you, yes?”

I had enough of being condescended towards, and matched him stare for stare, or whatever I assumed he was looking at.

“Glasses…. now” I hissed, surprisingly sibilant.

Big face floated away and I could suddenly see something fitted on my nose. The world, or at least a part I could see from one side came into view. Bro sprang into focus at the edge of the crowd of blue and green scrubs.

“Thanks – now bro” pushing out the syllables as sibilantly as possible. It seemed to work as bro was allowed to come near.

“Are you okay?” he asked, concern in every dipthong and consonant and vowel. And anger, fear and possibly sadness.

“Better than you, runt” I croaked out and tried to grin setting off another jolt of pain.

“Don’t talk too much – you have been hovering in limbo for the last 3 days. Just try to relax” , bro tried to be reassuring.

But they would be gunning for him next – I had to speak.

“The papers are signed, scanned etc – leave now, I’ll follow after wrapping up….” I started issuing directions as usual.

“Nothing doing – you’ve been out and babbling like a child for days. Pa is going crazy and even Ma bothered to call and ask about you. I’m not budging anywhere…”

I looked at him and his stubborn chin – he didn’t have that as a kid.

“Fine, stay. Carry a gun, be on your guard….trust no one…..get protection….”,

I couldn’t speak any more and the darkness was closing in around me.

I woke up drenched in sweat and breathing like a mad dog again…. This was the worst possible way to really wake up. But the breathing slowed soon and there was no pain – only fat and another bright December day in my past.

It was still early and I could hear the house help chattering outside so I pushed myself to waddle into the bathroom. Thankfully I remembered where my clothes were and got ready quietly.

Dressed and done, I packed my schoolbag as per the taped time-table posted on my desk. And then sat down with pen and paper and thought about how I could get a message to grown-up bro in an alternate reality.

The paper was still blank as Ma came howling in a while later, expecting to heave her feared hair-brush at my ample posterior yet again. She stopped in mid-stride and mid-yell, dumb stuck at seeing me up and ready. Worse, I appeared to be studying…

She narrowed her eyes and flounced out of the room. I followed in the hopes of breakfast and a better day.



No comments:

Post a Comment